Sunday, June 5, 2011

Street Fair Illustration Finds...

I love a good street fair... but after going to a few of them you start to notice they all have the same stuff. Not this one! I was in Soho awhile back after visiting the John Derian store and decided to detour and check out some of the vendors. I got really excited when I saw old advertisements from The New Yorker for sale from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Before photography was deemed a more effective advertising tool, illustration reigned. 

I bought two and have yet to find the perfect spot for them on my wall. When I finally decide where to put them, I'll post a pic!

1 comment:

  1. New Yorker advertisements from the 40's, 50's, and 60's... how lucky you were to discover those artworks from the heyday of fashion illustration.

    Your illustrations exhibit a very observant eye. I especially like your rendering of the black guipure lace handbag because you've so wonderfully conveyed the bridges within the construction of the lace. Your Vogue pug is absolutely as charming as the real thing.

    It is very encouraging to see a resurgence of illustration within the past few years. All the Ruben Toledo illustrations for Nordstrom were fantastic and hopefully indicative of what we can look forward to seeing in the future.

    ReplyDelete